Apr 11, 2007

Shawana might have been right...

I walked into a bar and ordered a pint of Guinness. A young man down the bar looked over, smiled, and said, "Isn't it a little early for a Guinness." (It was approx. 8pm). I turned, smiled and said, "No... it's never too early for a Guinness." Then, because I am the way I am, I looked down at what he was drinking... Miller Lite. Sigh. It was a nice little banter back and forth until I noticed that. So, being the pretentious person I am, I smiled and walked back to my table... thinking... shut it miller lite man... until you start having some self respect I will give you no more attention.

Apparently, I am like that with music too. The new Bright Eyes album came out yesterday, and it is gorgeous. Its style is very I'm Wide Awake, Its Morning but it isn't as good (however, I don't know that he will ever be able to top that, and if he does, I will pee myself... you can write that down). The new Modest Mouse is amazing... amazing. It may be their best album, but we will have to give it some time to know for sure. It just keeps getting better with every listen. The new Arcade Fire and The Shins albums... not as good, but still very solid and worth spending some time with. Going back a bit now... The Decemberists The Crane Wife, I cannot say enough. I struggle to remember all of the albums of 2006, but it was definitely in the top 5. Outstanding work. Damien Rice 9 was also quite good.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on like that. Bonnaroo, should I go? Do you want to come with me?

I got the grade back for my Politics of the Global Economy paper. My life can now move back into a stable sort of pattern. Is it an indication that there may be something wrong with me because I am so invested in my papers that I struggle to function like a normal human being leading up to, writing, and post handing them in? I will try to work on that. Sorry, that I left you high and dry for so long.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How about you let me know what your weirdo test would be and I'll consider you for the position. I just thought maybe your threshold for weirdos would be a little lower than Lyndsey's. Prove me wrong...

crankin said...

i can't respond to that unless i see lyndsey's criteria. and how is she filtering? i am still so confused about this entire thing. please, help me.

Unknown said...

Also...I'll have to trust you on the Damien Rice review. It wouldn't play in my computer. Sad face.

crankin said...

what?! why not? do you need me to send your a copy? this is aweful.

Sweet T said...

Shawana... that's my sister! Yay! Guess what is coming up on May 5th... oh baby... it's the Chicago BeerFest! I am looking up tickets right now.