Oct 20, 2004

poor and happy, or rich and sad?

i have been having this tremendous inward struggle. i hate my job, and i just dont know what to do about it. the emotional and psychological stress that this job causes me has been a lot to handle. in fact, i took the month of october off because i felt like i was going to have a nervous breakdown. you may wonder why i continue to work this job. well, the pay is quite lovely, and i get every weekend off. i just wonder if the money is worth the stress that i suffer because of it. my life during the week becomes nonexistent. i work 52.5 hour weeks, i stink all the time, and i am the only female on the premises. after a while, it just really becomes to much. so i ask myself the question. which is better... to be poor and happy, or rich and sad?

before i used to think that rich and sad was better, but lately, poor and happy has become much more appealing to me. the immediate option before me is to go back to starbucks. now there are pluses and minuses here. i love making coffee, and quite honestly, i am really good at it, but all the pricks that store #2301 has to offer just becomes a bit much for me. overall, i guess that i much preferred working for starbucks, but i dont know if i can handle going back after walking away. there is just a sense of failure in that to me. maybe i am being silly, and i need to get over it, and make a decision that is going to be healthy for me.

a wise person once told me that i need to make choices that are best for me. so i am leaning towards poor and happy. what do you think? seriously people, i could use some advice here.

2 comments:

Midnight Angel said...

Colleen,
I sympathize with your dilemma as I work alot of hours as well and needed a change. You need to figure out what will be better for you in the long run. Its nice to have the extra $ but is it worth all the stress, probably not.Unless the job will get a bit less stressful or you learn how to deal with it better.There are lots of strategies to destressing yourself that you could use. Some from as little as 5 minutes or longer if need be...

Class of 2000 officers said...

Colleen. this is very important. how do i insert links in my blog to other people's blogs?

just kidding. I mean i'm not, but i thought it would be funny to ignore your dilemma at first.

anyway, i think you should not work at the factory for longer than six months. your brain will turn to mush. you saw what happened to Eminem. He worked in a factory, you know. I've done both and I say that Starbucks is where its at. How much is your rent? You can make decent pay in the coffee business. Plus they pay you to build relationships with people and learn about what's going on in their lives. Just don't burn yourself or drink too much coffee. I'm out.