Mar 8, 2007

in brief.

I officially declared my major yesterday. First, I had a very fruitful meeting with the Dean of International Relations, and I was feeling quite good about the recent life decisions that have lead me to this point. I am not a majorer in International Relations (which will forever more be referred to as IR) and a minorer in Political Science (let us call it POLS). My language of choice, in which I must become fluent to graduate, is Russian, and I am currently exploring study abroad programs. The top placer at this point is a summer program out of the University of Arizona which will allow me to go to either St. Petersburg or Moscow. I am also mentally picking through the possibility of graduate school, law school, and the peacecorps.

All this sounds great right... Colleen, finally seems to have found some direct... right... no. I was so encouraged and feeling proud of myself, then I went home. My dad is an ass. He may has well have said, "Colleen, what is wrong with you, are you stupid? This plan of yours is ridiculous, poorly thought, and will get you no where. Study abroad... what a waste of time. Russian... in five years... not one on the planet will speak Russian. If you are going to waste your time becoming proficient in a language it should be Spanish, or at least a language that uses the English alphabet because any language that doesn't will be obsolete in 5-10 years. You have failed me as a child... I thought I raised you better than this, and I am very disappointed in you." Now, I am questioning everything. Maybe I should take Spanish... would it really be that painful for me to give up all of my interest in Eastern Europe and focus on a completely different part of the world? So, I am feeling bad and confused, and I need some support. Usually, my mom acts as a bit of a buffer... she is in North Carolina. I am all alone in the choices I have made. Give me something, please.

1 comment:

Sweet T said...

Ass. Spanish is not for you. It's not for me either. French should have been my language and I promise that if you change your path and chose Spanish... you will regret it. I started the Alchemist this morning so I am on this huge "follow your dreams" high. Your dad will never understand the differences between the two of you. Eventually he will admire your will and determination, so don't lose hope. He may be a successfull and possibly happy man, but you don't want to be in the same place as him... do you? Because of the amount of work he does he has to take a vacation like every other month. You are a revolutionary Colleen. You will be a part of movement or two. As delirious would say... you will be a history maker in this land. YOU are paying for your education. YOU get to chose. YOU are an adult. YOU are not living your life for him, but rather for greater things.