Oct 17, 2007

life decisions.

I am busy. Also, not busy. Will I eventually reach an age or state of mind that will allow me to stop being distracted? It really seems to be a problem, but at the same time, many would probably say that I spend far too much time studying, so maybe it isn't a problem at all.

I have recently been spending quite a bit of time thinking about my future. Over Christmas break, I am going to Macedonia. I will be in St. Petersburg in June and Moscow in July. I have to take LSATs and GREs in the fall when I come back home (or possibly in May before I leave). It appears that I will be graduating in May of 2009 (finally). Hence, I am considering my options.

My options include: International law J.D. degree from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State University, or the University of Akron (i.e. become a lawyer and stay in the home region for further education) or International/Comparative politics M.A. from Georgetown, American University, or George Washington University (i.e. become a political genius and move to Washington D.C. for further education). Regardless of the degree I receive, I will most likely pursue a job with a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO, i.e. Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch), an Inter-Governmental Organization (IGO, i.e. UN), or with a think tank (i.e. USIP, CSIS).

What are your thoughts? Seriously, I know that it all seems like babble, but I really could use your input... even if there is no rational basis for your opinion.

6 comments:

Class of 2000 officers said...

Georgetown has nice restaurants and shopping...

Those options all sound amazing and i am highly jealous reading every word of this post.

But before I weigh in, I'm confused. Is there international law in akron? and can people actually work at think tanks? I thought they only had interships available there.

crankin said...

There are international law degrees to be had in the Akron area, but I would have to leave post-masters to get the actual job in international law. Yes, people do actually work at think tanks, and a very small portion of them are interns.

We good now?

Anonymous said...

hmm, that is a hard one.

after being in grad school for a mere 7 weeks, i would say go for your masters and become a political genius. because really if we want to change stuff, we have to do it by influencing politicians.

but having your JD will help you go farther with politics. if you do decide on law school, i have it from pretty reliable sources that Akron is the best choice of law school for Ohio.

Unknown said...

You better call me back or I'm gonna start to think you don't love me.

I know that was a threat, but it was just masking fear.

Class of 2000 officers said...

update or die.

Unknown said...

http://maeklingler.blogspot.com/2004_11_01_archive.html

I still love these things about you...Miss you! m